San Francisco, CA
415 271 0212
I am a seamstress. My business provides custom sewing for interiors, soft goods prototyping, product development and consulting for clients ranging from individuals with personal needs to companies with professional projects.
Interior services encompass drapery, pillows, shades, bedding, slipcovers, and table linens. Projects can range from small bench cushions for a neighboring pianist to geometric block cushions created for the San Francisco Children’s Creativity Museum’s play area. More intricate projects include pattern-matching top down roman shades, for which I also craft the hardware, to designing and constructing a cover for a twelve by fifteen foot tall metal structure which was used by Four Barrel Coffee and The Mill coffee shop.
Prototype design and development has a broad range. Product development consists of taking initial prototypes, sourcing materials, finding appropriate local shops to facilitate cut and sew manufacturing to sales and distribution. I offer an initial 30 minute consult to get a sense of if I can assist and the client and I are compatible regarding desired outcome. Discussion involves idea, intent, and finally ideal goal. If choosing to go forward, I assess what immediate time investment it would take to get to a stage at which we could meet again to determine if on the right track and if worth pursuing. I work from drawings, mock ups or patterns, depending on what stage of development the client is at.
I have made prototypes for many local companies over the years. Many of whom are recognizable now.
- Timbuktu- Constructed bag and baby carrier.
- Outlier Creation’s, Sky Dreamer Travel Pillow- (release date 1/2015) whose pattern was drafted from a 3-dimensional sculpture resulting in a highly contoured object.
- Shyp- Consulted, designed and constructed the app based shipping companies initial containment bags for transport from client to carrier.
- Public Bikes- Designed, drafted pattern and constructed pannier prototypes of original Eames fabric supplied by Maharam.
- Billion Jelly Bloom’s “original crowd-surfing, dance partnered-sized, burning man-ifested, luminous jellyfish”- Consulting, pattern drafting, sample construction and production of the first, third and current generation.
- Oraya Therapeutics- Pattern drafting, sourced materials and heat transfer, printed logo, constructed sample and currently produce covers for medical equipment.
- Stanford Birthing Center- worked with Lanie Abano Woodworking, sourced materials based on medically required specification, designed and constructed seat and lounge cushions for hospital waiting area.
- Out of Sight Case- Consulting, pattern drafting and production of case developed for teenagers to enable ease of carrying all necessities for stress-free diabetes management.
- Ripple Effects- A company who offers tech tools to address behavior issues whose software uses a cartoon dog with a prosthetic leg as guide- Designed and constructed 3-d replica of stuffed dog with prosthetic leg.
- Brogamats- yoga bag redesign, continued consulting and managing production while teaching the owner how to take responsibility for each stage.
- Grey Advertising- Construct sample Betabrand RFID-Blocking READY Jeans, Protected by Norton Utilities for international press launch.
SKILLED SEAMSTRESS / MOTHER - Present
I sew, I love it and I do a fantastic job each and every time I take on a project.
- Sustaining a business for 24 years.
- Raising a lovely daughter.
- Maintaining happiness and quality of life.
DESIGNER • PRODUCT DEVELOPMENT • PRODUCTION
Multifaceted Industry Professional skilled in taking ideas and products from concept through production. Passionate, creative, insightful, extremely organized, detail oriented and self-motivated with the ability to multi task efficiently and adhere to a production calendar.
Strengths and accomplishments in:
Interior/Home Sewing • Costuming • Product Development • Patternmaking • Costing & Pricing • Fabric & Trim Sourcing • Project Management • Small Run Manufacturing • Quality Control • Utilizing Local Resources • Budget Administration • New Business Development.
- Professional Seamstress for 24 years.
- Extensive experience with Eastman cutting tools, Walking foot, 5-thread, Single needle & Cover-stitch machines.
- Detailed knowledge of garment construction and pattern development from design inception to production, including prototype, pattern making and garment construction.
- Sourcing fabric, trim & contractors; Costing products; negotiating production; communicating with contractors & monitoring quality.
- Scheduling & implementing sample and mass production.
- Develop inventory, ticketing and labeling systems; forecast requirements.
- Textile design and fabrication.
- Generate technical design book; Maintain spec sheets and sample library.
- Possess excellent organizational written and oral communication skills.
- Computer proficient, Macintosh based. Photoshop, Illustrator, Quark, html, Microsoft Office, QuickBooks Pro.
DESIGN / 2006 - present
INTERIOR DESIGN & CLIENT COMMISSIONS / COMMERCIAL & RESIDENTIAL
- Light Upholstery
FREELANCE DESIGNER • SEAMSTRESS Present
Specializing in Children's Apparel, Costuming and Decorative Environments.
Services offered include custom design & sewing, individual or group commissions.
Product development from pattern generation to sales and distribution.
CONSULTANT • PRODUCT DEVELOPMENT • MARKETING SPECIALIST / 2004 - 2008
PILLOW TALK, INC.
Product development for launch of Pillow Talk, a division of Womanifest, Inc.
Currently developing sales and marketing for upcoming trade shows. Oversee all manufacturing.
- Pattern Design and Sample Sewing.
- Managed sample production and source development.
- Reduced production costs by 20%.
- Merchandising for product placement.
- Designed web site architecture and hand coded html.
ARTIST IN RESIDENCE • TEACHER 2005 - 2006
SAN FRANCISCO SCHOOL OF THE ARTS, THEATER TECH DEPARTMENT - SOTA
Sewing & Design- Introduction to sewing basics: Use of equipment, understanding pattern creation, sewing terms, construction methods, tool use. Discussion of fabric types and appropriate uses. Sourcing and costing.
DESIGNER 2006 - present
CALLIOPE DANCE STUDIO
Custom Costumes for seasonal dance performances.
CONSTRUCTION 2005 - present
Custom Screen construction for immersive environments using reflective glass beaded material.
PRODUCT DEVELOPMENT & DESIGN 2005
JADOO POWER SYSTEMS
Fuel Cell Case design, pattern & construction.
PRODUCT DEVELOPMENT & DESIGN 2005 - 2006
SHOWER BUDDY USA
- Adaptive Clothing design, pattern & construction.
- Fabric & production sourcing.
CONSULTANT • PRODUCT DEVELOPMENT & DESIGN 2005
PIXELS MODERN PIECES, HOME DIVISION for OFFI & COMPANY
- Textile design consultant.
- Pattern development.
- Showroom sample production.
CONSULTANT • PRODUCT DEVELOPMENT • PATTERNS & SAMPLES / 2005
KIDS WEAR THIS
- Pattern development.
- Sample sewing.
DESIGN / 2005
- Interior Design.
PARTNER & DESIGNER / 2003 - Present
TINY TYRANTS, INC.
Tiny Tyrants is a wholesale infant gift line created for the Generation X.
Tiny Tyrants is carried by 50 stores nation wide with such notable shops as the SF MOMA, Henri Bendels of 5th Avenue, NY and Academy of Sciences; SF.
- Developed gift product & packaging.
- Conceptualized graphics and store merchandising.
- Drafted patterns.
- Sample sewing.
- Coordinated & Directed PR & Marketing photo shoot.
- Developed & Implemented labeling and pack & fold guidelines.
- Oversee manufacturing and distribution.
OWNER & DESIGNER / 1997 - 2005
LIT'L LIZARDS, INC.
Lit'l Lizards children's apparel was carried by Bay Area boutiques and developed a dedicated customer following.
LIT'L LIZARDS RETAIL ENVIRONMENT / 2001 to 2004
- Managed all aspects of business from daily operations, purchasing, display & merchandising, advertising & PR to bookkeeping & payroll.
- Designed & built store interior including fixtures, accessories and furnishings.
- Designed, drafted patterns, created samples and oversaw merchandise production of the Lit'l Lizards brand.
- Managed a staff of three employees and four independent contractors.
- Lit'l Lizards received recognition as one of the most innovative businesses of 2003 by the SF Business Commission and Mayor W. Brown.
- Hosted over 45 local artists and designers gaining popularity as a unique place to shop for kids in San Francisco.
- Lit'l Lizards Clothing has been in Martha Stewart Baby, routinely photographed for Parents Magazine and various local publications.
LIT'L LIZARDS ONLINE / 2004-2005
Designed, developed and maintained online retail website. Designed and created product line.
- Site architecture.
- Hand coded html - site build and maintenance.
- Photographed products and prepared files for the web.
- Order fulfillment.
- SF Bay Guardian profile.
PARTNER & DESIGNER / 1994 - 1999
A multi-media company, South of Market during the on set of the Dot Com boom.
- Post Masters Gallery, Soho, New York - Development, creation and implementation of textile sets for "TerboWave" the first documented VJDJ set involving the use of two laptops online with live mixing from over 100 web pages.
- Burning Man- Organizer of original "Rave camp" coined the Techno Ghetto Created textile environments for attendees.
- Neoteric96 Festival, Ashikaga, Japan - Clothing designer flown in to participate in a fashion and music extravaganza highlighted on NHK, Japanese National Television. Over two thousand attended.
- Michael Narada Walden Japan Tour - Apparel design and development for tour.
- Pixar, Product development for launch of Desi Arnez TV series in partnership with Nickelodeon.
- Post Tool
- Dimension 7
- George Coates Theater - Costume and Set design
Shag. Custom Clothing
- First to introduce and manufacture high-resolution graphic transfer onto textiles.
- Created custom garments for select clientele.
- Shag. Clothing was carried in select boutiques in LA, NY, SF, England and Japan.
- Children's Business Weekly, a Fairchild Publication - Highlighted Tiny Tyrants 2004
- San Francisco Chronicle
- Noe Valley Voice
- San Francisco Daily
- Martha Stewart Baby
- Parents Magazine
- Family Fun Magazine
- San Francisco Bay Guardian
- Nominated for San Francisco Small Business Commission's 2003 Shop Outside the Box campaign. Recognized as on of San Francisco's most innovative and unique entrepreneurs.
- San Francisco School of the Arts - Theater Tech, Sewing & Design, ongoing.
- Private Instruction ongoing.
- Learning Annex, ongoing - How to Start a T-shirt business.
- Children's Day School, 2005 - Sewing class.
- New Traditions Elementary, 2002 - Alternative Arts Program Kindergarten.
- Little Bear Pre-school, 2001 - Arts Program.